Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rules of my heart...

Just because you love them...
...does not mean you will get love shown back....
...does not mean you will not get hurt...
...does not mean they will not leave you...
...does not mean they will make smart decisions...
...does not mean they will grow up and make you proud.

When they...
...do not show you love in return...
...hurt you...
...leave you...
...do not make smart decisions...
...make you feel ashamed as they grow up...
It doesn't mean you didn't love them with EVERY fiber of your being.

When I tell you...
...it hurts to keep loving when love is not shown in return...
...it hurts when you hurt me...
...it hurts when you leave me...
...it hurts when you do not make smart decisions...
...it hurts when I feel ashamed as you grow up...
Believe me, that does NOT diminish the amount of love I have for you.

But when I...
...hold you at arms' length so I can't tell when my love is being denied...
...walk away before your words or actions can hurt me...
...don't let you back in so you have another chance to leave me...
...don't want to hear about your decisions that are only going to hurt you and the ones who love you...
...cry as you grow up and deliberately walk away from the way you were raised...
Please respect me as I learn and grow and mourn the losses from my expectations and my needs.  

I cannot walk away from what I need even as I'm trying to learn what you think you need.  I do love you, but sometimes loving someone means learning to love oneself enough to know ones own limitations.  If such behavior is not labeled as "selfishness" on your behalf, then I am taking such limitations and expectations and applying them to my life.  I am learning my limitations/expectations as I am learning yours' and I hope one day we will be able to again show and live the love we have/had for each other.

Inhale sharply....because life is a vacuum....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments go here. They are moderated. Your opinions are yours', but this blog is mine. My own little piece of control. Thanks!